What is Gum Recession?
Gum recession is a common dental problem and most people do not know that they have gum recession because it occurs gradually.
The first sign of gum recession is usually tooth sensitivity or you may notice teeth that look longer than normal. The dark yellow root of the tooth is exposed and a notch can be felt near the gum line. Not only is this unaesthetic, but when gum recession occurs, “pockets” form between the teeth and the gum line, making it easy for disease causing bacteria to build up and cause gum disease.
If left untreated, the surrounding bone and gums can be severely damaged and may ultimately result in tooth loss and even severe health consequences. Early detection and treatment is essential to maintaining overall health and saving teeth.
The New Way to Treat Gum Recession
The Pinhole® Surgical Technique/ Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S., is a scalpel-free, suture-free procedure for treating gum recession.
This procedure is performed by making a tiny hole in the gum tissue. Using specially designed instruments, the gum tissue is loosened and guided over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no cutting or stitching, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Most patients also are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement.
Before and After
Photos are property of Pinhole Surgical Technique
Photos are property of Dr.Zhang
Photos are property of Dr.Zhang
Photos are property of Dr.Zhang
Why You Should Choose Pinhole?
Compared to traditional gum grafting, the Pinhole Surgical Technique is a faster procedure, is more comfortable, is less invasive, is less painful, and has a faster recovery time. There is no additional surgery to obtain a graft.
Top 10 Benefits of the Pinhole® Procedure
- Can correct gum recession in as little as 1 treatment session.
- Minimal discomfort and swelling in most cases because the method is scalpel-free, suture-free and graft-free.
- Long term results per the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry. (October 2012)
- The pinholes heal in 24 hours in most cases.
- Only 2 over-the-counter pain pills required after treatment on average per the study in the Int. Journal of Periodontology & RestorativeDentistry. (October 2012)
- Can prevent tooth loss and the need for other costly procedures such as implants or dentures.
- Treatment sessions can be completed in as little as 1-2 hours in many cases.
- Can enhance a more youthful and attractive appearance.
- Patients often describe feeling happier due to being able to smile without the shame or guilt associated with ugly receded gums.
- Most patients are back to normal light activities within 24-48 hours post procedure.
About Dr. Zhang
Having struggled with dental anxiety for the majority of my childhood, I am passionate about creating a caring and comfortable environment for my patients. The tools for comfortable dentistry exist and it’s my passion to eliminate discomfort and anxiety during a dental visit.
During my training at Sunnybrook Hospital, I had the opportunity to learn from leading oral surgeons, pathologists and dental anaesthesiologists. I was exposed to a wide range of challenging clinical cases, as well as treated many medically compromised patients. My collective experiences at Sunnybrook have shaped the dentist I am today.
Most Rewarding Dental Experience
I’ve had the privilege to provide dentistry in remote, underserviced areas in rural Ontario (Moose Factory and Sioux Lookout). Many communities are only accessible by flight and some do not have consistent dental access. Despite the frigid (-40C) winters, I was blown away by the spirit and kindness of these communities. The final leg of my Northern Adventure was in Geraldton, ON where I lived for over a year and have made a lasting impression on the beauty of Northern Ontario.
- Bachelor of Health Sciences, McMaster University, ON
- Dentistry, University of Toronto, ON
- Dental Residency, Sunnybrook Hospital, ON
- Moderate IV Sedation Certified, Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
- Pinhole Surgical Technique, Chao Seminars, Alhambra, California
- Invisalign, Align Technology, San Jose, California
- Orthodontics for the GP, Rondeau Seminars, London, ON
- Biohorizons Implant Placement Program, Markham, ON
About our Clinic
Comfortable Dentistry. We do that.
Markham Woodbine Dental – comfortable dentistry meets technology. We are dedicated to bringing advancements in technology to the dental chair. From computer assisted freezing to digital 3D scans, our mission at Markham Woodbine Dental is to use dental technology to reduce pain, discomfort and length of treatment. Less discomfort = more smiles.
Testimonials From Patients
Hi, my name is Vincent and I have been a patient with Dr. Zhang for about two years. I have always been very satisfied about her work. Let me share to you something that really bother me for many years, I had gum recession for quite a while, and this is a really delicate operation I was in pain and doctor Zhang suggested that I get what we call” the pinhole surgery” which is a type of operation to solve the gum recession problem and it’s very delicate and she is almost one of the few ones in Canada to do this and she has done it beautifully. My gum are good I’m not in pain anymore and I suggest everybody who has that problem to consult with Dr. Zhang.
I was suffering from gum recession and tooth root exposure for long time, just regular maintenance and conventional cleaning, until Dr. Didi Zhang suggested PST (Pinhole Gum Surgery) around mid 2019. Not really paid attention to it initially, and changed my mind eventually after I saw some videos about comparison of old way to re-grow the gum and PST’s. Don’t want to repeat the same mistake as my parents to save the gum and tooth in time.
It took about one and half hours to complete the whole surgery at noon, just like another tooth job without any pain. Then took the second day off with three ice bags to cool down the cheek. The pinholes disappeared and gum are pulled down as planned. The family can tell the difference right away in my mouth about the current improved gum and untouched side.
Although I can’t brush the area for weeks to ensure no impact to the surgery site, I’m very glad that I made the right decision to do it, and really appreciate Dr. Didi Zhang careful introduction to this process and perform it professionally.
Media Reporting Videos
New Year Offer:
Click below to get $128 Voucher, The Voucher can be redeemed at Markham Woodbine Dental when making the payment.
For new patient only
We accept all major insurances.